Snapper with Beer-Battered Zucchini Fries July 27, 2020
Traditional fish and chips have been reinvented in this spicy fried snapper with crisp zucchini fries version. Check out the original recipe here.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain flour
- 250ml chilled lager
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 700g (about 6) zucchinis, cut into 1cm-thick batons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 x 200g snapper fillets (skin on)
- 1 cup (300g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons harissa or other chilli paste (optional)
- Salad leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Whisk together egg, flour, lager and a pinch of salt in a bowl – the batter will be a little lumpy. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large pan with sunflower oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when the oil is hot enough). In batches, dip zucchini into batter, allowing any excess to drip off, then deep-fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel, then transfer to a baking tray and keep warm in the oven while you cook the fish.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Season fish, then cook, skin-side down, for 4 minutes or until crisp. Turn and cook for a further 2 minutes or until just cooked.
- Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl and swirl in the harissa, if using.
- Scatter fries with salt, then serve with snapper, mayonnaise, salad and lemon.