Smoked Fish Pie August 3, 2020
Great comfort food or alternatively serve with a fresh summer salad. Check out the original recipe here.
- 500-600g mix of fresh and smoked fish
- 15-20 small smoked mussels
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves
- 500ml milk
- 150ml white wine
- 50g butter
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 5 Tbsp flat leaf parsley
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 1kg Agria potatoes
- Cut onion into chunks and stud cloves into a couple of the chunks.
- Into the pan add milk, onions, bay leaves and bring to simmer.
- Add skin on fish and simmer for 15 minutes then remove fish.
- When the fish is cool, flake and put in a large flat ovenproof dish.
- De beard the mussels and add to the rest of the fish.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and cook until tender.
- Mash well with milk, butter, salt, and pepper to get a smooth spreadable texture.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour and cook over low heat for 5 minutes until just before the flour turns colour.
- Add milk from fish, whisk until smooth and heat for 5 minutes on low.
- Add wine, grated nutmeg and season to taste.
- Stir through the chopped parsley and pour mixture over the fish.
- Heat the oven to 200°C and then top the fish and sauce with the mashed potatoes and cook until golden brown – about 10 minutes.