Pan-fried Fish with Creamy Leeks and Roast Potatoes March 26, 2018
This recipe by Nadia Lim for Pan fried fish with creamy leeks & roast potatoes is one that the whole family can enjoy this easter. Check out the original post here.
Creamy leeks are the perfect accompaniment to fish – you and your family will love the subtle flavours of garlic, lemon and mustard.
This dish was a huge hit when it featured in Bargain Box. It’s a great way to get kids to eat fish (everything tastes good with creamy leeks and roast potatoes right?). Any green vegetable would be perfect on the side, or even a garden salad – whatever your family are in to. Making sure the tray isn’t too crowded is the trick to crispy roast potatoes. When roasting vegetables, I often spread them out over two trays to ensure ultimate crispiness.
- potatoes eg. Agria 800g, scrubbed and diced 2-3cm
Fish with creamy leeks
- fish fillets eg. Gurnard, Tarakihi or Snapper 600g
- flour 3 tablespoons seasoned with ½ teaspoon salt (gluten-free if required)
- lemon zest of 1
- butter 2 tablespoons
- spring onions 2, thinly sliced (reserve dark green part for garnish)
- leek 1, white and pale green part only, cut in half length-ways and thinly sliced
- garlic 1 clove, finely chopped
- chicken stock ¾ cup (gluten-free if required)
- mustard (eg. wholegrain or Dijon) 1 teaspoon
- salt ¼ teaspoon
- cream 100ml
- broccoli 1 head, cut into florets
- lemon 1, cut into wedges
PREHEAT oven to 210°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper
- Toss potatoes with a little oil on prepared tray. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Turn once during cooking.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels and cut any larger fillets into 2–3 pieces. Place seasoned flour and lemon zest on a large plate and season with pepper. Dust fish in flour mixture. Heat a little oil in a large fry-pan on medium heat. Cook fish for about 3 minutes each side, until golden and nearly cooked through. Set aside on a plate covered with foil.
- Heat butter in same pan on medium heat and cook spring onion, leek and garlic for 5–6 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add stock, mustard and salt, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Stir through cream and cook a further 2 minutes, until thickened slightly. Season to taste with pepper.
- Add cooked fish to pan with creamy leeks on medium heat. Gently turn fish a few times to coat in sauce and cook a further 1–2 minutes, until fish is cooked through.
- While leeks and fish are cooking, bring a medium pot of salted water to the boil. Cook broccoli in pot of boiling water for 2–3 minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain.
TO SERVE divide roast potatoes and fish with creamy leeks between plates. Serve a wedge of lemon to squeeze over fish just before eating. Garnish with green part of spring onion and serve broccoli on the side.