Classic Kiwi Whitebait Fritters September 10, 2018
Whitebait season is upon us, so for a Kiwi classic look no further than this recipe for whitebait fritters. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and thick slices of white bread for a delicious, quick meal. Check out the original recipe here. Serves 2.
- flour 1/2 cup
- baking powder 1/2 tsp
- salt 1/2 tsp
- 1 egg, separated
- milk 1/2 cup
- whitebait 1/2 cup
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- lemon wedges and Worcestershire sauce to serve
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, separate the egg, then mix the egg yolk and milk together. Add to flour mixture, combining until smooth.
- Now in a separate bowl, whisk egg white until stiff peaks form, then fold into mixture. Drain whitebait well and add to mixture.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add dollops of fritter mixture and cook until golden on both sides.
- Allow fritters to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with lemon wedges, sauce or bread and butter.