Blackened Salmon Burgers with Herbed Cream Cheese October 26, 2016
This recipe is from Tieghan Gerard at Half Baked Harvest – check out her website here http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/blackened-salmon-burgers-herbed-cream-cheese/
- Blackened Salmon Burgers
- 1 pound wild caught salmon, skin removed
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs (use gluten free bread crumbs if needed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for cooking
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (more or less adjust to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
- 4 smaller bagels or brioche burger buns, toasted
- Sliced avocado, grilled jalapenos + grilled pineapple slices, for topping (optional)
- Microgreens, watercress + pickled red onion, for topping (optional)
Herbed Cream Cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 teablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- salt + pepper, to taste
Add the salmon to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it is finely chopped and similar in size to ground chicken. Alternately, you can chop the salmon very finely with a sharp knife.
Add the chopped salmon to a bowl with the Panko breadcrumbs, parmesan and olive oil. Mix with a spoon until just combined. Form into 4 equally sized burgers (or 2 large) burgers.
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of the burgers generously with the seasoning mix.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook burgers on each side until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side. Be gentle when flipping the burgers, as they are delicate.
Spread the bottom half of your toasted buns with the herbed cream cheese (recipe below). Top each bun with a salmon burger and then add your desired toppings. I highly recommend a slice of grilled pineapple! Add the top half of your bun. EAT!
Herbed Cream Cheese
Add the cream cheese to a mixing bowl and whip with an electric mix until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Stir in the basil, dill, parsley and a pinch of salt + pepper. This can be made a few days in advance and kept in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.