Fresh Oysters with a Lime and Cucumber Granita March 3, 2020
These oysters are dressed with a sweet and spicy dressing and then topped with a cooling salty sour granita. The perfect balance of flavours. Check out the original recipe here.
- 24 shucked oysters
For the Granita
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 tsp salt
- juice 1 lime
- zest of lime
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander
For the Thai Dressing
- 60g rice wine vinegar
- 40g grated palm sugar or raw sugar
- 3 red chillies
- 1/2 garlic clove
- Start by making the granita. Grate the cucumbers and place them in a colander over a bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the cucumbers to release any extra moisture and then discard the flesh. Add the lime juice, lime zest, water and chopped coriander to the cucumber juice. Give the mixture a taste. It should be sour and salty.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow plastic container and place in the freezer. Allow to freeze for an hour and then use a fork to scrape the semi frozen liquid away from the edges.
- Stir and scrape the granita at 30 minute intervals until it is light and granular. Once it is ready it should be easy to spoon and scoop. Keep frozen until needed
- To make the dressing. Gently heat the rice wine vinegar until you can only just hold your finger in it. Add the grated palm sugar.
- Finely chop the chilli (leaving the seeds in is optional) and the garlic. Add them to the vinegar mixture and pour into a small bowl to cool.
- Serve the oysters on a bed of salt or ice with the two dressings on the side and enjoy!