Fish Sandwich with Brussels Sprout Slaw September 22, 2020
This easy fish sandwich is pan-seared until crusty and blackened on the top and flaky inside, nestled into a brioche bun, and topped with a lime and cumin Brussels sprout slaw. Check out the original recipe here.
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup light mayo, divided
- 2 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp blackening season
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 4 portions of fresh fish
- 4 brioche buns
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp chopped cashews
- Add the lime juice, honey, cumin, salt, and 2 tablespoons mayo in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded brussels sprouts, diced red pepper, and cilantro. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the halibut fillets generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly with the blackening season.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet to a medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add olive oil or butter. Swirl the pan to coat it. Once the oil is hot, gently nestle the fish in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until it easily releases from the pan. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes until cooked through. It should flake easily and be nice and white throughout. Remove from the pan.
- Before assembling, give the slaw a stir and see if it needs any more salt and pepper. Spread the bottom bun with a little bit of mayo. Top with a littl bit of slaw and a piece of halibut. Layer a few pieces of avocado on top. Season with salt and pepper. Top with more slaw and the rest of the bun. Enjoy!